Best VPN for LG Smart TV
With a VPN, you can unblock various geo-restricted streaming apps on your LG smart TV, including Netflix, the BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Disney+, etc. After testing 50+ VPNs, we bring you the 5 best VPNs for LG Smart TV, with ExpressVPN taking the lead as it offers a dedicated router app, with a Smart DNS MediaStreamer feature.
LG is one of the largest Smart TV brands in the world. These TVs run on LG’s proprietary operating system called WebOS. You can find plenty of streaming apps supported by the WebOS on Smart TVs. However, the availability of these apps varies from region to region.
So, unless you use the best VPN for LG Smart TV to change your virtual location, you won’t be able to use your Smart TV to the fullest. With a VPN, you can take full advantage of a smart TV and stream to your heart’s content.
Apart from downloading and streaming, a smart TV VPN will protect your device against potential malware and hackers. There are hundreds of VPN services out there, so choosing the right VPN can become confusing sometimes. Therefore, to make things easier for you, we have come up with the 5 best VPNs for LG smart TVthat also work with other devices.
Quick Overview: 5 Best VPNs for LG Smart TV in April 2022
Short on time? Here’s a brief overview of the 5 best VPNs for LG Smart TV:
- ExpressVPN – Best VPN for LG Smart TV. Offers excellent unblocking ability, fast speed (85.8 Mbps on 100 Mbps base connection), and allows 5 simultaneous connections. Offers 3000+ servers in 94 countries. Available for $6.67/mo and comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee to help you try out the service risk-free.
- NordVPN – Secure VPN for LG Smart TV. Comes with powerful features like kill switch, OpenVPN protocol, and more. Offers 5500+ servers across 59 countries with obfuscation technology and allows 6 multi logins. Offering a speed of 82 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection. Available for $3.99/mo and comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark – Budget-friendly VPN for LG Smart TV. Highly affordable VPN costing only $2.30/mo . Offers 3200+ servers across 95 countries with a speed of 75.12 Mbps speed on a 100 Mbps connection and allows unlimited multi-logins. Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- CyberGhost – User-friendly VPN for LG Smart TV. Offers easy-to-use apps with tons of features and a trendy UI. Comes with optimized servers for Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, including 7700+ servers across 90 countries. Offers a speed of 71.4 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection. Available for $2.23/mo with a 45-day money-back guarantee too.
- PIA – Reliable VPN for LG Smart TV. Offers one of the largest server park with 35000+ servers across 80 countries. Offering 64 Mbps speed on a 100 Mbps connection. Allows 10 simultaneous connections. Available for $2.19/mo and offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Choose a VPN, and follow the steps mentioned below in this article to set up a VPN on your Smart TV.
5 Best VPNs for LG Smart TVs – In-Depth Analysis [April 2022 Updated]
With growing geo-blocks, using your LG Smart TV to its fullest is impossible. These 5 best LG Smart TV VPN for 2022 can help you bypass geo-restrictions and access a variety of content from abroad:
1. ExpressVPN – Best VPN for LG Smart TV
- 3000+ servers in 94 countries
- 88 Mbps on a 100 Mbps base connection
- 5 simultaneous connections
- AES 256-bit encryption
- Offers a free MediaStreamer SmartDNS
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Unblocks Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, etc
- Compatible with Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Chromebook, Amazon Firestick, Android TV, Play Station, Xbox, etc
ExpressVPN is the best VPN for LG Smart TV. It is known for its excellent performance and unblocking ability. ExpressVPN offers around 3000+ servers in 94countries, making it an excellent choice for streaming. This VPN delivers fast performance, has a great unblocking ability.
It works great with Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Disney+, etc.Moreover, its huge server base and super-fast speeds make it one of the fastest streaming VPNs in the market. ExpressVPN managed to deliver an average speed of 88 Mbps on a 100 Mbps base connection. We never had to experience any buffering whatsoever.
ExpressVPN Smart DNS called MediaStreamer can also unblock almost all streaming platforms, which means that you can easily access the geo-restricted content on your Smart TV with this VPN. ExpressVPN is the best for LG TV and other Smart TVs as you can also set it up via Smart DNS.Also, ExpressVPN is best for unblocking content on Apple TV as well.
ExpressVPN is packed with all the premium features like port forwarding, Kill Switch, OpenVPN, IPv6, DNS leak protection, and a zero-log policy. It strictly follows a no-log policy and does not track any online activity due to safe jurisdiction in the British Virgin Islands away from surveillance & data retention laws.
It supports 5 simultaneous connections and works with other Smart TVs as well such as Android TV, Samsung Smart TV, Nvidia Shield, Apple TV, and more.
Overall, ExpressVPN is an excellent VPN for LG Smart TV users. It is available for just $6.67/mo (Save 49% and get 3 extra months FREE with 12-month plan) and there is also a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can try it risk-free.
To know more about this VPN, read our ExpressVPN review.
2. NordVPN – Secure VPN for LG TVs
- 5500+ servers in 59 countries
- 6 simultaneous connections
- AES-256-bit military-grade encryption
- 82 Mbps speed on a 100 Mbps connection
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Unblocks Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, HBO, CBS, NBC Live, Spotify, etc
- Compatible with Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Router, Play Station, Android TV, Roku, etc.
NordVPN is the most secure VPN for LG Smart TV and is known for its security and privacy features. If you are having problems getting apps for your Smart TV or are concerned about increasing its security, NordVPN is the best VPN for LG Smart TV you can get.
It offers more than5500+ servers in 59. The provider is exceptionally efficient when it comes to unblocking apps and sites. You can configure NordVPN on your router and connect it to your TV to have unrestricted access to channels and streaming platforms.
This VPN works flawlessly with torrentingand popular streaming sites like Netflix US, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, etc. NordVPN also offers obfuscated servers that disguise your VPN traffic as normal traffic. It helps bypass VPN blocks and unblocks popular streaming platforms like Netflix, Hulu, HBO, and more in countries with heavy restrictions like China.
Apart from its excellent unblocking capabilities, NordVPN has top VPN features like 256-bit encryption, kill switch, Onion over VPN, Double VPN, etc. The Double VPN feature reroutes your traffic over 2 different servers for double encryption.
All these high-end VPN features come at a price of $3.99/mo (Save 70% on 2 Years Plan + Extra Subscription), and one NordVPN subscription allows 6 multi-logins so thatyou can use it on your LG smart TV and other devices.
There is also a 30-day money-back guarantee for its users to test the service risk-free. For more information on this VPN, check out our latest NordVPN review.
3. Surfshark – Budget-friendly VPN for LG Smart TV
- 3200+ servers in 95 countries
- Infinite simultaneous connections
- AES-256-bit military-grade encryption
- 75.12 Mbps speed on a 100 Mbps connection
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Unblocks Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, BT-Sports, Hotstar, etc
- Compatible with Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Chromebook, Amazon Firestick, Android TV, etc
Surfshark is the most budget-friendly VPN for LG Smart TV. It is also the only VPN on this list that allows unlimited simultaneous connections per account. You can simply configure Surfshark on a router and protect all devices at once, including your LG Smart TV.
Surfshark features around 3200+ servers in 95countries, making it an amazing option for smart TVs. It also has powerful unblocking capabilities and can unblock Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and more with ease. I managed to unblock various Netflix libraries (including US, UK, CA), Disney+, and Hulu on my LG Smart TV.
Some of its standout features include Multi-hop, Kill switch, CleanWeb, and Whitelister (split tunneling). Its MultiHop feature allowsdouble VPN encryption by rerouting your traffic through 2 different servers. Double encryption makes it impossible for your ISP or hackers to track your activities.
Best of all, this VPN for smart TV LG only costs $2.30/mo (Save 81% on 2 Years + 2 Months Free Plan with Surfshark Antivirus). There is also a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can also try it risk-free for 30 days.
Check out our Surfshark review for further details.
4. CyberGhost – User-friendly VPN for LG Smart TV
- 7700+ servers in 90 countries
- 7 simultaneous connections
- AES-256-bit military-grade encryption
- 71.4 Mbps speed on a 100 Mbps connection
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- Unblocks Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, HBO, DAZN, YouTube TV US, Vudu, etc
- Compatible with Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Router, Play Station, Android TV, Roku, etc
CyberGhost is the most user-friendly VPN for LG Smart TV that is super easy to use and is a great choice for users who are new to VPNs. It offers 7700+ servers in 90 countries.
One best feature about Cyberghost is that it offers various optimized servers for torrenting, streaming, gaming, etc. There are dedicated servers for various streaming platforms such as Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Crunchyroll, etc.
CyberGhost provides decent security features such as anti-fingerprinting, Internet Kill Switch, and military-grade AES 256-bit encryption. There are multiple protocols to choose from. You can choose between IKEv2 and WireGuard security protocols. For OpenVPN, you will have to manually configure it on your router.
It also offers a Smart DNS feature to bypass geo-restricted apps on LG Smart TVs. You can also connect up to 7 devices with a single CyberGhost account. There is also 24/7 live chat support in case you need assistance.
CyberGhost is a super affordable VPN starting at just $2.23/mo , and you can connect 7 devices simultaneously. There is also a massive 45-day money-back guarantee for its users that also serves as a free trial.
That’s not all this VPN has to offer; read our detailed CyberGhost review to know more about its features.
6. PIA – Reliable VPN for LG Smar TV
- 35000+ servers in 80 countries
- 10 simultaneous connections
- AES-256-bit military-grade encryption
- 64 Mbps speed on a 100 Mbps connection
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Unblocks: Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, ESPN+, Sony Liv, Nine, Foxtel, UKTV, etc.
- Compatible with Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Router, Play Station, Xbox, Chromebook, Roku, etc
Private Internet Access (PIA) is another amazing VPN for a smart TV with a massive server network. It probably has one of the biggest server networks of 35000+ servers in 80 countries. These servers are capable of unblocking any geo-blocked content from anywhere in the world.
PIA offers unlimited bandwidth, and data so you can stream as much as you want. PIA also works with all major streaming platforms such as Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, HBO Max, NBC, Peacock TV, and more.
There is no dedicated app for LG Smart TV, but you can configure PIA on a router, and connect it with your TV. It also allows 10 simultaneous connections so you can secure multiple devices at the same time. This VPN provider is compatible with Windows, Android, iOS, macOS, and smart TVs.
Some of its amazing features include split tunneling, port forwarding, an automatic kill switch, adblocker, and SOCKS5 proxy for safe torrenting. PIA VPN comes with strong AES 256-bit encryption that can protect against brute cyber attacks in terms of security.
This VPN is also quite affordable, coming at a low price of just $2.19/mo andoffers a 30-day money-back guarantee for its users to test the service free of risks.
To know more about this VPN, read our latest PIA VPN review.
Visit PIA VPN
Why do you need a VPN on LG Smart TVs?
Smart TV apps, like most streaming apps, have a great limitation that can be annoying sometimes: They are available in only certain countries.
Most popular streaming sites like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and Disney+ are geo-restricted. Meaning, you will either get access to a content library available in your region or get zero access if the streaming app has not launched in your country yet. However, with a VPN, you can change your virtual location and your favourite movies and tv showsfrom anywhere in the world. A VPN will mask your location and let you take full advantage of a Smart TV by giving you access to restricted apps.
It would be best to think about getting a VPN for LG TVs because these TVs are not sufficiently secure from potential hacking attempts. VPNs can enhance the overall security of your TV through sophisticated encryption methods.
Now that we have settled why VPN is a valuable addition to your smart TV let’s take a look at some specific VPN providers you should consider acquiring.
Do LG Smart TVs Support VPNs?
The short answer: not directly.
The WebOS does not support the installation of VPN services. However, it is still possible to connect your Smart TV with a VPN. You can do this either by configuring a VPN on your Wi-Fi router or turn your PC into a virtual router whose connection is shared by LG Smart TVs.
So, what are the steps needed to get a VPN set up on your router? Let’s get started.
How to Setup VPN on LG Smart TV
If you are wondering how to set up a VPN on a smart TV, you have come to the right place. You can install a VPN on LG Smart TV through two different methods. One involves using an actual configurable router, and the other involves using your PC as a virtual router to configure LG TV VPN.
The first method that I will show you for getting a VPN on your Smart TV is through a router. This method’s advantage is that you can connect any device to a VPN-enabled router and share the VPN connection without having to set up a VPN on each device individually.
However, bear in mind that only certain types of routers support VPNs. DDWRT router is an example of a router that allows users to play around with many Internet settings that can’t be touched on standard routers. Therefore, make sure your router can be manually configured to enable VPN.
To learn how to set up a VPN on a Router, read our DDWRT router VPN Setup. Once you have installed a VPN on your router, connect your LG Smart TV to the Wi-Fi router to automatically connect the TV to a VPN.
Be warned, though, this method is quite technical and might be too hard for some users. Therefore, if you are not that technologically inclined, I suggest following the other method.
Via Network Connection Sharing (PC)
Note: This method works for users of PC on Windows 10
- Open Settings > Network & Internet > Mobile hotspot
- Turn on the Mobile hotspot.
- Now open Settings > Network and Internet > Change adapter Options
- Find ExpressVPN Tap Adapter (Monitor icon) and right-click on it.
- Choose Properties
- Now, check to Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection under the sharing tab.
- Press OK
- Open your LG Smart TV and connect to the PC connection you just created
- Now you can unblock apps with a VPN on Smart TV.
How to change the WebOS region on your LG Smart TV?
You can change the region of your Smart TV by following the steps below:
- Press Settings on your LG TV remote control
- Now choose General
- Navigate to Location
- Choose LG Services Country
- Uncheck Set Automatically and pick a country of your choice
- Press Yes and reboot your Smart TV
The list of countries you can choose depends on the region you purchased your LG TV from.
How to set up Smart DNS on your LG Smart TV – (VPN Alternative)
Smart DNS is a VPN alternative for smart TV users. Here are some easy steps to install Smart DNS on your LG Smart TV:
- Turn on your Smart TV > Press Home Button from the remote control > Select Settings.
- Select Network >Wi-Fi Connection.
- Select Advanced Settings
- Select Edit
- Enter the DNS server address of the Smart DNS or VPN service you have subscribed for.
- Press Connect
- After the Internet connection is completed, Restart your Smart TV, and that’s it.
Note: Keep in mind that to download US streaming apps like Hulu, US Netflix, Disney+, etc., you need to change your LG Smart TV region to the USA first. If you don’t change your location, even with Smart DNS on, you will not download geo-restricted streaming apps.
Final Thoughts – Best VPN for LG Smart TV
Smart TVs come with a lot of features and apps for the ultimate experience on a big screen. But, as you know, most popular streaming platforms like Hulu, Disney+, and HBO are geo-restricted – meaning you can get these apps only in some parts of the world. Therefore, VPNs must take full advantage of the features your LG Smart TV has to offer and for an amazing streaming experience.
VPN services are important to tackle Geo-restrictions and online security threats.This is why you should choose the best VPN to completely avoid worrying about blocked apps and services and enjoy the complete features of Smart TVs with top-notch security.
Our top recommendation is ExpressVPN, as it is not only compatible with LG TV, but also with other TV brands including Samsung Smart TVs. You can read our exclusive ExpressVPN Samsung TV guide for more information.
So which best VPN for LG Smart TV you’re using currently? Let me know in the comments below.
ExpressVPN is the best VPN for LG Smart TV. It is known for its excellent performance and unblocking ability. ExpressVPN offers around 3000+ servers in 94 countries, making it an excellent choice for streaming. This VPN delivers fast performance, has a great unblocking ability.Can I install VPN on LG WebOS? ›
OK, you can't directly install a VPN app on your LG TVs. But you can use our Smart DNS option for webOS. Just switch to our Smart DNS server address, and you'll be able to unblock anything. And that's it!How do I change the region on my LG Smart TV? ›
1) Press the settings button on the remote to access the All Settings page. 2) Click on General and select Location. 4) Uncheck the option Set Automatically and select the country you wish to change the region to. 5) Once selected, click Yes to confirm changes.Does LG have a VPN app? ›
LG Smart TVs usually run on webOS, an operating system that does not have native support for VPNs. Luckily, most VPNs make apps for Windows, Mac, iOS, Android-based devices and offer router support.How do I install ExpressVPN on webos? ›
- Register your IP address on the ExpressVPN website. Go to the ExpressVPN DNS settings page. If prompted, enter your ExpressVPN credentials and click Sign In. ...
- Get your MediaStreamer server IP addresses. Go to the ExpressVPN setup page. ...
- Configure the settings on your LG TV. On your LG Smart TV remote, click the.
How To Use VPN Settings On LG smart phones user guide supportWhat is LG VPN network? ›
A virtual private network (VPN) encrypts your internet traffic and protects your online identity via a secured remote server and is most commonly used when remotely accessing company systems (e.g., company email, intranet sites, etc.). Apps. Settings. More.Can I install ExpressVPN on my LG TV? ›
Unfortunately, there is no way to directly install ExpressVPN on LG TV or even establish a VPN connection on the LG TV. This is because ExpressVPN is mainly designed for Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android devices.Can you install NordVPN on LG TV? ›
Yes, NordVPN works on LG Smart TV, however, you'll need to set it up on a router first. After that, you'll be able to provide a VPN connection to your Smart TV, Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku, or gaming console.Can I change webOS to Android? ›
The short answer is no to installing AndroidTV to replace WebOS.
RootMyTV is a user-friendly exploit for rooting/jailbreaking LG webOS smart TVs. It bootstraps the installation of the webOS Homebrew Channel, and allows it to run with elevated privileges. The Homebrew Channel is a community-developed open source app, that makes it easier to develop and install 3rd party software.How do I get the hidden menu on my LG TV? ›
To access your LG TV's secret menu, try to use the original remote for the best results. Then, hold down both your remote's menu button and the TV's menu button. Once you see a password request appear, let go of both buttons and enter your TV's password, which could be 0000, 0413, or 7777.How do I change the IP address on my LG TV? ›
LG Smart TV: How to Change DNS Server, Subnet Mask, Gateway, or ...Can you install Surfshark on LG TV? ›
Once you have found your smart DNS addresses on Surfshark.com, you need to apply them to your LG TV. To begin with, go to Network Settings of your TV. If your TV is connected to the internet via Wi-Fi, click on the Wi-Fi Connection tab. If it is connected via Ethernet cable, choose Wired Connection (Ethernet) tab.How do I download a VPN to my smart TV? ›
- First of all, sign up for a suitable VPN. ...
- Next, search for your VPN in the Google Play Store and install its app.
- Log in and connect to a server in the required country. ...
- Finally, open the region-locked app you'd like to use and play a video.
- Go to the main settings option.
- Click on the Smart TV setting.
- On the change country option, choose Manual.
- Select USA from the country list.
- Open the Netflix app and enjoy American shows.
ExpressVPN is compatible with a wide range of smart TVs and streaming devices.How do I install PureVPN on my LG TV? ›
- Visit our order page and buy a PureVPN subscription.
- Download PureVPN's Android app.
- Once the installation is complete, open it and log in using your credentials.
- Connect to your preferred VPN server or hit the Quick Connect button.
- You're all set!
Most smart TVs aren't compatible with virtual private networks right out of the box, but pretty much any smart TV can be hooked up to a VPN. Even if your TV isn't of the smart variety, you may still be able to use a VPN on it -- as long as you have the right equipment.How do I turn off VPN on my LG TV? ›
- In the search bar of your operating system, type 'Network Connections'.
- Select 'View Network Connections'
- Select your VPN icon, and click on 'disable'
Open Settings in your Android device. Find Wireless and Networks and click More. Select VPN and follow it up by tapping the + sign. Choose the preferred protocol under VPN Type (PPTP, L2TP/IPsec, SSTP, IKEv2) and then fill in the details provided by your VPN provider or network admin.How do I setup my Verizon VPN? ›
- From Verizon Mobile Broadband Manager , click. Menu. (upper-right).
- Click. Settings. .
- Click. VPN. ...
- Enter the appropriate info into the following fields: Contact your VPN admin for assistance with establishing a connection.
Yes, NordVPN works on LG Smart TV, however, you'll need to set it up on a router first. After that, you'll be able to provide a VPN connection to your Smart TV, Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku, or gaming console.Can I install ExpressVPN on my LG Smart TV? ›
Unfortunately, there is no way to directly install ExpressVPN on LG TV or even establish a VPN connection on the LG TV. This is because ExpressVPN is mainly designed for Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android devices.Can I put a VPN on my smart TV? ›
Most smart TVs aren't compatible with virtual private networks right out of the box, but pretty much any smart TV can be hooked up to a VPN. Even if your TV isn't of the smart variety, you may still be able to use a VPN on it -- as long as you have the right equipment.Can you install Surfshark on LG TV? ›
Once you have found your smart DNS addresses on Surfshark.com, you need to apply them to your LG TV. To begin with, go to Network Settings of your TV. If your TV is connected to the internet via Wi-Fi, click on the Wi-Fi Connection tab. If it is connected via Ethernet cable, choose Wired Connection (Ethernet) tab.